This nice palm-sized specimen shows rich yellow gold in its quartz matrix, with occasional pyrite and telluride mineralizations.
It comes from the Lake Shore Mine, located in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Harry Oakes staked the claim in 1912 and gave the mine its name. The mine produced almost 8.5 million ounces of gold from 1918 to 1965. The mill operated until 1968 re-milling historic tailings. The surface plant was demolished in 1969. The mine reopened in 1981 by new owners LAC Minerals and operated intermittently as an exploration project along with pillar recovery and tailings processing with material processed at the nearby Macassa Mill. Activity ceased in 1987 and the property has followed the chain of ownership of the Macassa mine. (1)